Format: PDF in Zip file Download
Printable on 11" x 17" paper
Note: Plans are available for download in your "My Account" page after purchase. Plans are available for 60 days and a total of 5 downloads. If for any reason you exceed the number of days or downloads and need to download again, please use the "Contact Us" link and provide the plan name.
Wool Pickers are a needed tool for those that grow or shear their own fiber. It is used to tease open and blend fibers in preparation for hand or drum carding. Carding unpicked fibers is much harder and longer to accomplish without using a picker first. Some enthusiasts also find picking the best time to mix different types of fibers prior to carding.
About this Wool Picker:
This type is known as a "Box Wool Picker" in that it is essentially boxed shaped as opposed to the most often used other type of picker - the Swing Arm Picker (coming soon). This version is quite small and portable and is simply used by feeding unpicked fiber into one end while sliding the top piece back and forth. A variety of woods can be used though for strength and durability the best are hardwoods such as Oak. Materials for this picker were under $25.
- 8" wide x 16" Long by 8" High (top of handles)
- Almost 150 picking teeth
- All parts purchased at the local home improvement and craft stores (e.g. Home Depot, Lowe's, Menard's, Michael's)
- Once built, very little assembly/disassembly required
About these Plans:
I created this Box Picker from examining my Swing Arm Picker and trying to simplify. Depending on your skills and equipment, use of these plans should yield a fully functioning Box Wool Picker.
- Parts and Material list included
- Tools needed included
- Measurements of all parts
- Pictures and diagrams of all parts
- Step by step instructions for creating the parts as well as construction
- Templates for picker teeth placement
If you notice any mistakes or areas of ambiguity please contact me and I will adjust or explain as needed.